We recently welcomed an exciting new addition to our practice, the Mona Lisa Touch vaginal rejuvenation treatment. While still a relatively new treatment to Australian shores, the Mona Lisa Touch treatment is already making waves overseas and is creating plenty of buzz here too. The patients who have experienced the Mona Lisa Touch treatment in our practice are already enjoying the results, so we thought we would answer some frequently asked questions for patients who were considering the treatment but wanted some more information
What is Mona Lisa Touch Treatment
Mona Lisa Touch is a non-surgical, non-hormonal alternative to hormone therapy for the treatment of symptoms related to vaginal atrophy. It is a 10 minute, virtually pain free procedure that has no downtime. Mona Lisa Touch is the first solution designed to naturally counteract the effects of atrophy of the vaginal wall. By stimulating the regeneration of new vaginal tissue Mona Lisa Touch restores your body’s natural balance and function. The Mona Lisa Touch treatment is suitable for patients who suffer from the following:
- Vaginal burning
- Loss of lubrication
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal dryness
- Vaginal laxity
The Mona Lisa Touch can also help patients with recurrent thrush or discharge, and some urinary symptoms.
Mona Lisa Touch works by stimulating the body’s own regenerative processes to create more hydrated and healthy cells and to improve the circulation and nutrient supply to the vaginal wall. This has a direct effect on the integrity and elasticity of the vaginal wall and returns the internal vaginal environment to more normal levels. In as little as 30 days after treatment the regeneration of new tissue in the vaginal wall builds a naturally stronger structure and the protective wall recovers volume, hydration and elasticity.
How Does It Work?
The Mona Lisa Touch is a carbon dioxide laser designed to produce a superficial (not deep) fractional ablation of the skin of the vaginal canal without the need for anaesthesia. Although it is a fractional CO2 laser treatment that is fired inside of the vagina, there is virtually no pain associated with the treatment itself. The only discomfort that most patients encounter is on their initial treatment when first inserting the laser handpiece into the vagina. This discomfort is due to the patient’s vaginal atrophy symptoms and they have indicated that it is less discomfort than a speculum insertion. Most patients describe the actual laser firing as a slight vibration.
- You will then be placed on an exam table and your feet will be placed in stirrups in the same manner as a vaginal exam / pap.
- The physician place a sterile “scanner” into your vaginal opening
- After complete insertion, the laser will be fired, moved, fired again, etc. until the entire inside of the vagina has been treated.
- After the treatment, you will need to refrain from putting anything in your vagina for a few days.
- Some patients have indicated that their first urination after the treatment feels different (not painful). They have described it as “noticing” or “feeling” their urine flow in a different way.
How Many Treatments Are Required?
Most patients feel an improvement after the first treatment with the full benefits of the
Mona Lisa Touch treatment achieved in three to four treatments. This can be decided in consultation with your Doctor. All the changes obtained with the Mona Lisa Touch procedure last significantly longer than other treatment options. As the natural ageing process continues the treatment can be repeated as required, usually at 6, 12 or 18 monthly intervals.
What Are The Benefits of the Mona Lisa Touch Treatment?
- More comfort during sex
- Heightened sensation during intercourse
- Increased hydration vaginally
- A decrease in itching, infections and dryness
- A decrease in urinary incontinence
- A quick, safe resolution to your vaginal atrophy symptoms
- Increased self-confidence
- Mona Lisa Touch results are longer lasting than its pharmaceutical counterparts
To make an appointment, or for more information, please contact our Kew rooms on 9819 2299.